Saturday, January 11, 2014

Burlap meets steampunk distress style



Welcome back to Our Creative Corner!

Being this month's challenge host of our "No More Shopping Sins!" challenge, I have also the great pleasure to introduce to you our Guest Designer for January......

Trace Metcalfe from inkypinkycraft


      Trace is an artist who you all probably know very well and I am sure she will have inspired you many times before with her amazing creations. She is with us this month to add her magic to my current challenge with her gorgeous Steampunk design!

  Welcome to Our Creative Corner, Trace, we hope you enjoy being here as much as we enjoy having you with us!   
  


*********************************************


    
Well to say I am thrilled to have been asked to be a Guest Designer is an understatement. Some time out from blogland meant this was later than planned, but thanks for your patience ladies xx 

   So here I am and Claudia's theme this month is 'No more Shopping Sins' - using some much loved but never used piece of stash. 

     Now I am a huge fan of Mr Tim Holtz and adore so many of his gorgeous goodies, from stamps to idea-ology and of course, the amazing Distress range. So I do have a teensy habit of acquiring lots of his goodies and then feeling they are almost too nice to play with. So my stashed item, much loved but never used, is the new burlap panels...

Oh wow these are fab. The only trouble is I know need MORE! So here is my Guest Design make :


I have chosen some of my much loved and very well used Steampunk style stamps from Tim Holtz, some designed by Brett Weldele, lots of scrummy idea-ology, distress paints and got playing.
All 3 panels are done in a similar way and are actually fairly simple.

I started by adding some Distress Paints in Pumice Stone, Picket Fence and Black Soot to the base of the burlap panels...these are so fab as the backs are solid allowing none of that caving in that can occur with stretched canvas pieces. I added water and heat dried allowing the paints to do their magic. 


I then added some strips of tissue tape.

Now for the designs on the top. I created some textured pieces, using metal foil tape which was stuck to card and embossed and the distressed using Black Soot distress paint. I tore the edges as I like the effect. Hopefully you can see it peaking out behind this fab steampunk gent!



Panel 1
 

The image was stamped in black archival and coloured using waterbrush and distress markers. Then I went to town adding lots of my much loved stash of idea-ology. ( including some packs not opened like these fab word bands)

Panel 2
 
This was completed in same way as Panel 1.



Panel 3 
Here the image was stamped and colour added using Distress Ink, with colour removed from the gents faces using a waterbrush.


 
Well, all that remains is for me to say a huge thanks for having me along and hope you have liked my burlap panels. They are so much fun to create and it is amazing how much detail and texture you can add in such a small place!
 
 
 
 

30 comments:

  1. Wow stunning panels!! Love the steampunk theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a superb trio of canvases Trace. I love how you've combined the images and Idea-ology pieces to create so much interest and texture on each one. Great job as ever! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trace, it is so lovely to see you here. I love how you have used the burlap panels in such a creative and original way - the steampunk theme is just fabulous! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing Trace - gorgeous work xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous makes Trace - those burlap panels just set off all those wonderful embellishments and the wonderful images. Again I always love the subtle colours you always manage to create in your work. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your burlap panels, Trace,
    and I know where you are coming from with those idea-ology "treasures" ;)
    It's so great to have you with us this month! Thanks for sharing your steampunk art with us!
    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your burlap panels are stunning Trace. Love the colours, stamps and embellishments. Thank you too for sharing the How To x

    Best Wishes

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic creations Trace, love each and everyone of them. They make a great set and thanks for the wonderful step by step. Wonderful to have you with us this month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fabulous creations, love the choices of the word bands on each creation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Trace - your makes have always been spectacular - this is no exception kid. You are very talented to say the least.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love your trio of burlap panels... brilliant use of all those TH goodies, and wonderful stamping too. Fantastic guest spot, thank you!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning work Trace. love these to bits. x I need those word tags.. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great make! I love the many textures and the great compositions on these panels. Terrific! Julie Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fab are these. Loving the colours and techniques used.

    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. An eyecatcher in any case (:o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...and now you have your stash out where you can appreciate them. These are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fab trio of burlap panels!!! That's really gorgeous. Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulously tactile trio Trace. They look super. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good grief Trace, they're spectacular, I completely love them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are just absolutely too cool!! Great set, love every detail!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these trace, what a great combo!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Total schöne kleine steampunk-Kunstwerke, klein aber fein. Sehen so genial aus. Super Idee mit dem groben Stoff dahinter.
    Liebe Grüße
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these!

    Ok now I want to try this -
    Only if I had more time -

    I love all of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These actually made me giggle...the wicked man!! What an inventive use of all these elements...so successful all together...great project.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So you Trace and so full of wonderful goodies and techniques! Love the burlap panels too. Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx